By Andrew Pearce
DESPITE the worst recession for 60 years, almost 60 per cent of Spaniards are spending the same – or more – on Christmas.
Ignoring the economic doom and gloom, the average spend per family of 735 euros is well up on the European average of 583 euros.
Some three per cent of Spaniards plan to splash out even more in a bid to forget their 2009 woes.
When the big day comes an average of nine gifts will have been bought per household, each costing an average of 45 euros.
Of those who plan to cut back this festive period, they say it will be on clothes, booze and less trips to the cinema and theatre.
The study carried out across Europe, revealed that the Irish are planning to cut back the most.
Meanwhile, Spanish national lottery fever is sweeping across the country with the grand draw set to take place on December 22.
Despite costing 20 euros a ticket, families are hoarding as many as possible as they dream of winning the famous El Gordo jackpot.
Isa Escobar, 27, from Arriate, revealed that every member of her family had bought a ticket, estimating between them that some 200 euros were spent in a bid to secure some of the two billion euro prize pot.
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00
- Moorish makeover for relaunch of Andalucian teahouse on Costa de la Luz - 17 Mar, 2018 @ 14:00
- Incredible 20 Michelin starred chefs – with 40 stars between them – to descend on Marbella - 16 Mar, 2018 @ 17:00