By Murri Little in Rute
IT is the equivalent of Lapland to Spaniards around Andalucia.
People travel for miles around to witness the work of the artisans at the three chocolate factories in Rute, Cordoba.
Buses filled with eager sweet-toothed children and adults arrive on the hour to stock up on all the seasonal delights, particularly marzipan, chocolate and nougat.
The town, famous for its anis liquors, pulls out all the stops at Christmas for the tourists.
There is a carnival feeling in the town, which has a banner claiming to have “the largest chocolate sculpture in the world”.
It is certainly very impressive with Flor de Rute factory having created a scale version of the St Peters Basilica in Rome, to go alongside a Disney castle and other sculptures.
At Galleros factory it has taken a team of men months – not to mention 1400 kilos of chocolate – to make the model of medieval times, as well as various members of the royal family.
A great day out for all the family, particularly at the weekend, there are plenty of craft and food stalls, the best selling the fantastic tortas de higos (figs) with anis.
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00
- Moorish makeover for relaunch of Andalucian teahouse on Costa de la Luz - 17 Mar, 2018 @ 14:00
- Incredible 20 Michelin starred chefs – with 40 stars between them – to descend on Marbella - 16 Mar, 2018 @ 17:00