FOLLOWING its worst rainfall for 60 years, Spain has now been put on heavy snow alert.
Temperatures are predicted to plummet to minus 15 degrees with widespread snowfall forecast for the east coast and much of inland Spain.
More then 1000 kilometres of main roads have been brought to a standstill with the provinces of Segovia, Teruel and Avila worst hit.
Andalucia and Extremadura also received heavy overnight snowfall in the Sierra de las Nieves and the mountains around the town of Grazalema.
Surprised onlookers in Ronda were yesterday greeted by a sharp snow flurry in the town centre
Snow is still predicted to hit the north of Castilla y Leon and the Pyrenees.
Meanwhile, gale-force wind is also set to strike Menorca and Melilla as well as the Ebro Valley, north east of Gerona.
The extreme weather conditions have wreaked havoc on transport links across the country.
Some eight motorways have been forced to close, including a section of the A-92 in Granada.
Mountain passes have also been hit with six including the Sanglorio in Cantabria now closed.
Roads in Teruel, Avila, Burgos, Leon and Cuenca are now particularly treacherous.
Drivers have been instructed to attach snow chains for all mountain journeys.
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00
- Moorish makeover for relaunch of Andalucian teahouse on Costa de la Luz - 17 Mar, 2018 @ 14:00
- Incredible 20 Michelin starred chefs – with 40 stars between them – to descend on Marbella - 16 Mar, 2018 @ 17:00