SPAIN’S most celebrated chef is to front its latest tourism campaign in a bid to win back tourists.
Famed maestro Ferran Adria – who runs Michelin-starred El Bulli on the Costa Brava – has been selected as the man to help revive the struggling sector.
Adria will be the face of the “I need Spain” campaign – which is hoped to be seen by 400 million people in 40 countries.
The tourism ministry announced in a statement: “”The essence of the campaign is the Spanish lifestyle, which attracts more than 50 million tourists a year.
Last year, Spain suffered an 8.7 per cent drop in tourists due to the global slowdown, its second straight year of falling visitor numbers.
Meanwhile, famous chef Adria also revealed that his acclaimed restaurant will become a non-profit foundation in 2014.
El Bulli, which overlooks the Cala Montjoi bay on the Costa Brava, plans to offer 25 scholarships annually for chefs and other industry professionals.
Owner Ferran Adria explained that he hopes his restaurant would become “a breeding ground for new ideas and for new talents”.
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00
- Moorish makeover for relaunch of Andalucian teahouse on Costa de la Luz - 17 Mar, 2018 @ 14:00
- Incredible 20 Michelin starred chefs – with 40 stars between them – to descend on Marbella - 16 Mar, 2018 @ 17:00