HIGH-level diplomatic intervention has sparked moves to protect British homeowners in Spain.
Following a visit by Minister for Europe Chris Bryant, it was announced that Spanish civil servants will join the consul offices in Malaga and Alicante.
They will be primarily charged with giving advice on the demolition and planning problems that are afflicting expatriates.
Bryant explained: “I’m delighted to announce the agreement for an Andalucian Civil Servant to give local, informed advice to British citizens.”
As part of an active schedule, Bryant also visited Albox, in Almeria, where nine homes are due to be torn down by April 9.
The Minister for Europe warned that the housing demolition threats are harming Spain’s economic revival.
Bryant, cautioned that the ongoing problems are seriously undermining the recovery of Spain’s troubled housing market.
“The market is not going to recover quickly if pictures of bulldozers knocking down expats’ homes are appearing in British newspapers,” he warned.
However, the Euro MP also stressed that finding a solution to the problem was out of the British Government’s remit.
He added: “Obviously it’s not for us to tell the Spanish what to do, but whether it’s an amnesty or a change in the law, we are pushing for whatever solution is needed.”
Bryant had been speaking from outside the home of demolition-threatened couple John, 82, and Muriel Burns, 70.
And John Burns explained that, although any direct prevention action is out of their jurisdiction, at least officials are now taking note.
“It meant a great deal that they came and spoke to us. It was only meant to be an hour but they were here for two,” he said.
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00
- Moorish makeover for relaunch of Andalucian teahouse on Costa de la Luz - 17 Mar, 2018 @ 14:00
- Incredible 20 Michelin starred chefs – with 40 stars between them – to descend on Marbella - 16 Mar, 2018 @ 17:00