HUNDREDS of expatriates marched through the centre of Malaga to vehemently oppose the demolitions orders threatening Andalucia’s homes.
Whistles, fog horns and hundreds of signs were all on display as the 1000-strong crowd made its way through the city.
Amid chants of ‘Junta, why are you punishing us?’ the crowd embarked on its one-kilometre trail which began in the Plaza De La Marina.
Out of the scores of demonstrators that descended on Malaga, many simply wanted to show their solidarity to those facing demolition orders.
The march’s guest speaker, Euro MP Marta Andreasen, told the Olive Press: “I want to bring this to the attention of the European Parliament.
“The march is to raise awareness because there are still a lot of people who are completely unaware about this terrible problem.
Both Andreasen and Save Our Homes Axarquia (SOHA) president, Philip Smalley, made impassioned speeches to the gathered crowd.
“We came to Spain not just for the warmth of the sun, but for the warmth of the Spanish people.”
Smalley remarked: “We are the immigrants in a foreign land, but many of us have invested our life savings in property.
“For many of us it could be the last home we ever buy.”
“We came to Spain not just for the warmth of the sun, but for the warmth of the Spanish people.
“We won’t just stand by watch the dreams of thousands be destroyed.”
Meanwhile, another lobby group revealed its satisfaction at seeing such a strong turn-out.
AUAN president, Maura Hillen, explained: “What’s great is how many different groups are here.
“We are really trying to build a coalition here.”
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00
- Moorish makeover for relaunch of Andalucian teahouse on Costa de la Luz - 17 Mar, 2018 @ 14:00
- Incredible 20 Michelin starred chefs – with 40 stars between them – to descend on Marbella - 16 Mar, 2018 @ 17:00