THOUSANDS have marched through the streets of Chiclana to protest against “astronomical” charges to make their homes legal.
Branded a success by organisors, La Plataforma Vecinos Afectados por la Regularización de Chiclana, estimates suggest at least 5000 demonstrators attended on March 20.
Protesting through the New Market residents shouted “this is robbery” over the Junta charges to install basic services such as electricty, water and sewage that are needed to make their homes legal.
Some households may have a bill of up to 100,000 euros with payment being demanded within a maximum of just six years.
“The Plataforma stressed that we do want to pay to make our homes legal but only at a just price and in keeping with the economic crisis,” explained marcher, Guillermina Ranirez Gray.
“What is being suggested is a kind of mortage with the council,” she added.
Speeches by Plataforma leaders insisted they wanted to pay “what is right” and that the time allowed to pay is crucial.
More than 15,000 homes are affected by the charges and it is estimated the legalisation process will cost 450 million euros.
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00
- Moorish makeover for relaunch of Andalucian teahouse on Costa de la Luz - 17 Mar, 2018 @ 14:00
- Incredible 20 Michelin starred chefs – with 40 stars between them – to descend on Marbella - 16 Mar, 2018 @ 17:00