MELANIE Griffith has spoken for the first time about how she slayed her ‘beast’ of an addiction to drink and drugs which enslaved her for 30 years.
Griffith – who is married to Malaga-born Spanish star Antonio Banderas – revealed that beating her addiction was like “getting out of prison”.
“I am an alcoholic and an addict and all my life I have fought against this.”
The actress, 52, said: “I am an alcoholic and an addict and all my life I have fought against this.
“Now I feel free. I don’t drink, I don’t take pills, nothing, and it’s fantastic, like getting out of prison.”
Griffith, who starred in Hollywood smash Working Girl, told Spain’s Hola! magazine that she had an addictive personality which would never leave her despite her brave efforts.
It’s public record that Griffith has entered several drug abuse treatment programs over the years.
She described her addiction as a “beast” which would only demand more when fed.
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00
- Moorish makeover for relaunch of Andalucian teahouse on Costa de la Luz - 17 Mar, 2018 @ 14:00
- Incredible 20 Michelin starred chefs – with 40 stars between them – to descend on Marbella - 16 Mar, 2018 @ 17:00