ONE in four Spaniards are driven barking mad by noisy dogs, a noise pollution study has shown.
Some 50 per cent are infuriated by building work and the same amount also finds it difficult to sleep at night due to excessive street noise.
And a hefty 87 per cent of all Spaniards complain that they have to endure living in a noisy environment.
Cars, heavy lorries, motorbikes, planes and trains are among the biggest gripes, while discos, bars and general nightlife also featured highly in the most-hated sounds.
Interestingly, TV noise didn’t feature among the grievances, despite the Spanish being renowned for having it switched on around the clock.
The report – conducted by the World Health Organisation (WHO) – confirmed that seven in 10 Spaniards endure rackets in excess of the 65 decibels considered safe.
The report also confirmed that Spain consolidated its position as the world’s second noisiest country behind Japan.
“Noise pollution causes not only a deterioration of the environment but also physical and psychological disorders in people,” said a statement released by the State Platform of Associations Against Noise.
The group urged the government to enforce existing noise laws and take corrective action.
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00
- Moorish makeover for relaunch of Andalucian teahouse on Costa de la Luz - 17 Mar, 2018 @ 14:00
- Incredible 20 Michelin starred chefs – with 40 stars between them – to descend on Marbella - 16 Mar, 2018 @ 17:00