The graphic images of the death and destruction wreaked by the catastrophic oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico serve as a shocking reminder of the inherent risks involved in the extraction and transportation of oil around the world.
All the more galling then to learn that, right here on our doorstep, crucial safety procedures are being flouted by a culture of negligence and greed.
So says a recent report conducted by the Andalucian Office of Fair Trading.
Failure to enforce maritime safety regulations on vessels entering the Bay of Gibraltar, as well as lax management of bunkering – ship-to-ship refuelling – has not only led to chronic pollution of the Bay but also risks a major environmental catastrophe.
Given the wealth of protected marine life that lives in the increasingly unctuous waters off Gibraltar; not to mention the cautionary tale being played out off the Louisiana coast, the Olive Press calls on the Spanish and Gibraltar authorities to clean up their act.
Before they have a much bigger clean up to worry about.
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00
- Moorish makeover for relaunch of Andalucian teahouse on Costa de la Luz - 17 Mar, 2018 @ 14:00
- Incredible 20 Michelin starred chefs – with 40 stars between them – to descend on Marbella - 16 Mar, 2018 @ 17:00