SPANISH house sales continue to rise.
The country saw a rise of 1.5 percent in the first quarter of 2010 compared to the same period in 2009.
While this is slightly less than the jump in the previous quarter, which saw a 4.9 per cent rise at the of 2009, it is continuing an upward trend.
The housing minister insists this is largely the result of a surge in used house sales which rose by 31.3 percent, while new home sales fell by 21.5 percent.
In the first three months of the year 106,302 houses were sold, down from 131,544 in the fourth quarter.
It comes after it was announced that Andalucia was at the top of the list for house sales in March, with 7,219 houses sold.
It has also prompted America’s financial paper, the Wall Street Journal to report that some investors are looking at Spain’s financial problems as an opportunity.
It estimates that the investors are expecting a number of savings banks to dispose of property faster than expected as part of a furious effort to restructure.
A dozen of Spain’s 45 savings banks are racing to restructure before the end of June, when a deadline on bank bailouts set by the European Commission is due to expire.
“The impact of these changes will be that banks are going to be forced to liquidate their stocks,” said Adolfo Ramirez-Escudero, of surveying company CB Richard Ellis in Spain.
“We should be seeing more opportunity sales in the market.”
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00
- Moorish makeover for relaunch of Andalucian teahouse on Costa de la Luz - 17 Mar, 2018 @ 14:00
- Incredible 20 Michelin starred chefs – with 40 stars between them – to descend on Marbella - 16 Mar, 2018 @ 17:00