A DAVID Villa double got Spain’s World Cup Campaign back on track against Honduras in South Africa.
The Barcelona front man opened the scoring midway through the first half after he capped a mazy run with a stunning finish into the top corner.
Just after the break Villa gratefully received Xavi’s cut back to fire a deflected effort beyond the despairing dive of keeper Noel Valladares.
After the opening match disappointment of losing to Switzerland, the Furia Roja came out firing from the first minute.
It was a return to the free-flowing, one-touch football that had critics drooling two years ago when the Spaniards were crowned European Champions.
And the margin of victory could have been far greater had Vicente Del Bosque’s men been more clinical in front of goal.
Hero Villa struck the crossbar with a long-distance thunderbolt and also watched in horror as his hat-trick penalty missed the target altogether.
Fellow hitman Fernando Torres was guilty of a number of misses while second-half substitute Cesc Fabregas saw his effort cleared off the line.
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00
- Moorish makeover for relaunch of Andalucian teahouse on Costa de la Luz - 17 Mar, 2018 @ 14:00
- Incredible 20 Michelin starred chefs – with 40 stars between them – to descend on Marbella - 16 Mar, 2018 @ 17:00