MARBELLA town hall has finally creaked into action to protect the endangered Artola dunes – but many are still under threat.
Officials agreed to preserve the dunes – a rich eco-system alongside Cabopino beach – which were declared a natural monument in 2003.
Some 500,000 euros have been made available to accompany the 1.7m euros set to be invested by Junta environment chiefs.
Plans are afoot to create special walkways across the dunes and remove the roadways as well as replant the 71,250m² area.
However, the Barronal de la Morera dunes are still facing destruction.
Some 152 homes are still set to be built on two-thirds of the beach, despite the threat to some of Andalucia’s most endangered birds.
Hopes were raised when Marbella’s ruling Partido Popular (PP) hinted that it may make an about turn to protect the coastline.
The Izquierda Unida has heavily criticised the PP for initially agreeing to the construction.
Over 2000 complaints were received by the town hall after the development got the original go-ahead.
Biologists at Malaga University and the Spanish ornithology society (SEO) have long emphasised the environmental importance of the dunes.
The zone surrounding the dunes is abundant in small migratory birds as well as insects and reptiles.
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00
- Moorish makeover for relaunch of Andalucian teahouse on Costa de la Luz - 17 Mar, 2018 @ 14:00
- Incredible 20 Michelin starred chefs – with 40 stars between them – to descend on Marbella - 16 Mar, 2018 @ 17:00