By Wendy Williams
SPANISH police have arrested one of Britain’s most wanted men on suspicion of murder.
Discovered in the up-market resort of Puerto Banus in Marbella, James Tomkins, 61, was arrested after a four-year manhunt by officers working on behalf of the Metropolitan police.
In a bid to escape, the fugitive jumped out of a window but was pursued by air support and caught by officers on the ground.
He is wanted in connection with a fatal drive-by shooting in Hornchurch, Essex, in 2006 in which Rocky Dawson, 24, was shot dead outside his parents’ home as he was putting his two children into his car.
Tomkins – who disappeared after the murder – is suspected of being at the wheel of a stolen Land Rover used during the crime and of helping to destroy evidence.
Contract killer Christopher Pearman, of Waltham Abbey, was jailed for life in 2007 after pleading guilty to the murder.
But officers have been unable to find the motive behind the killing.
They had wanted to question Tomkins in relation to murder and had offered a reward of £20,000 for information that would lead to his capture.
Tomkins is now due in court in Madrid on Friday for extradition proceedings.
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00
- Moorish makeover for relaunch of Andalucian teahouse on Costa de la Luz - 17 Mar, 2018 @ 14:00
- Incredible 20 Michelin starred chefs – with 40 stars between them – to descend on Marbella - 16 Mar, 2018 @ 17:00