By Wendy Williams
WHILE the rest of the world may still be reeling from the effects of the recession but the Spanish head of fashion firm Zara has just got richer.
The fortune of Amancio Ortega has now exceeded 20 billion euros securing his place as the richest man in Spain and placing him quite comfortably in the world’s top ten.
According to Forbes he is now the world’s ninth richest man.
His recent growth in wealth comes thanks to a rise in the stock market value of his flagship company Inditex, of which he retains 59.29 per cent of the shares.
The textile group’s shares reached record highs this week, boosted by the launch of an online store for Zara.
Customers are now able to buy products over the internet on dedicated sites in France, Germany, Italy, Portugal, Spain and
Since being first traded on the Madrid stock exchange on May 23, 2001 at a price of 14.7 euros, the share price of Inditex has almost quadrupled in value.
But the fashion and retail entrepreneur has not yielded to the temptation to sell more of his shares.
And so he will now pocket 443.5 million euros when the dividends are distributed later this year.
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00
- Moorish makeover for relaunch of Andalucian teahouse on Costa de la Luz - 17 Mar, 2018 @ 14:00
- Incredible 20 Michelin starred chefs – with 40 stars between them – to descend on Marbella - 16 Mar, 2018 @ 17:00