EXCLUSIVE By Jon Clarke and Wendy Williams
A MYSTERY incident has seen the sudden departure of ‘Mr Marbella’ Maurice Boland from his post at Talk Radio Europe (TRE).
While the radio station would only officially confirm he was “away on sick leave”, its chairman Martin Nathan did not deny that there had been an incident involving a teenage entertainer.
Irish DJ Boland – who has worked since the 1980s in Marbella, interviewing a string of famous people, including British Prime Minister David Cameron – confirmed to the Olive Press that he was “stepping down.”
Station boss Nathan told the Olive Press: “I am not at this moment prepared to make a statement regarding the rumours, but I would ask you to consider the effect this is having on the family concerned.
“I am not concerned about the adult involved, that is a different thing, but I would ask you to respect the privacy of the youngster and the family.”
He continued: “I need to talk to the family to see if they are prepared to talk to you. At the moment they are trying to come to terms with a difficult situation.”
Despite reports, he insisted that the police had not been called to the radio station on Monday, Boland’s last day.
Nor would he confirm if Boland – who is married with three children – was confronted by the family.
He said: “All I can say officially is that he is away on sick leave and will not be returning. A further statement will follow shortly.”
One of the station’s long-term presenters however, confirmed the incidents to the Olive Press, adding: “I have been called to a big meeting tommorrow.
“All I can say is that there was a huge error of judgement on Maurice’s part, but it was not illegal.
“It is all rather tragic. I have worked with him for decades, but sadly, his position there is now clearly untenable.
“I feel most sorry for the charities he worked with like Cudeca, who will be missing out from all his hard work.”
Various internet sites meanwhile ran the rumours in full.
According to a comment left by ‘Ben Hampton’ on former TRE presenter Stephen Ritson’s blog, the family turned up at the studios on Monday.
After revealing the reasons why, he wrote: “The whole thing sickens me.”
Last night Boland confirmed that he had “talked” to the family, but that wasn’t why he had left.
“I’m stepping down for personal reasons, everything else is speculative. I have talked to the family and nothing illegal has happened.”
Boland first moved from Dublin to Marbella in the 1980s. His radio talk show took off in the 1990s and since then he has interviewed hundreds of celebrities, including Cliff Richard, Jeffrey Archer and Nigel Mansell.
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00
- Moorish makeover for relaunch of Andalucian teahouse on Costa de la Luz - 17 Mar, 2018 @ 14:00
- Incredible 20 Michelin starred chefs – with 40 stars between them – to descend on Marbella - 16 Mar, 2018 @ 17:00