EXCLUSIVE By Wendy Williams
BEACHGOERS have slammed the authorities after they were allowed to swim in the sea just 30 minutes after a British father and son drowned in Almunecar.
They have also questioned whether red warning flags had been flying over Playa del Tesorillo beach, on the day the two men died.
Robert Wells, 75, and his son Jonathan, 45, had got into difficulties as they swam off the beach on September 7.
The story made headlines in the UK, particularly after a photographer got a picture of the two bodies lying under blankets on the shoreline, while people frollicked in the sea.
Holidaymaker Simon Murtagh told the Olive Press: “I was at that beach half an hour after they died and nobody warned us.
“We didn’t find out until after we came back safely from a swim and were told the full story by eye witnesses next to us.
“I can tell you there were no flags up.”
Despite police claims, other visitors, including an unnamed man who runs a bar on the beach, also insisted there were no red flags flying.
The pair from Cobham in Surrey died despite the brave efforts of two Spaniards who tried to save them but were forced back by the size of the waves.
Police and paramedics rushed to the scene but both Britons were already dead when they were pulled from the water.
According to Murtagh, the beach returned to normal within half an hour of the event.
He said: “When we arrived at the beach it was business as usual.”
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00
- Moorish makeover for relaunch of Andalucian teahouse on Costa de la Luz - 17 Mar, 2018 @ 14:00
- Incredible 20 Michelin starred chefs – with 40 stars between them – to descend on Marbella - 16 Mar, 2018 @ 17:00