By Wendy Williams
THE Spanish have long been known for their creativity, but fashion designer Dr Manel Torres might have taken this just a little too far.
His invention, Fabrican, is exactly what it says on the tin; a fabric in an aerosol can.
Made from cotton fibres, polymers (to bind them together) and solvents to keep it in liquid form, Fabrican adds another dimension to the world of skin-tight clothing.
It is sprayed directly onto your body, and dries as soon as it comes into contact with the skin.
Then the garment can be taken off, washed and re-worn just like a conventional fabric.
Even better, if you fancy a new wardrobe, the whole lot can be dissolved and used again.
In a demonstration, Torres took just 15 minutes to spray a T-shirt onto a male model. A female model was given the same treatment.
Torres has spent the last decade working on the invention in collaboration with the Imperial College, in London.
According to the Spanish designer, the idea was to create perfect fitting clothes instantly and cheaply.
“I really wanted to make a futuristic, seamless, quick and comfortable material” he said.
But best of all, it has emerged that the invention could even have uses in the world of medicine with the advent of spray on bandages.
It could also be useful for the transport and chemical industries, as well as for furniture upholstery.
So whether it’s for a band-aid or a hot date, spray on polymer composites are there for you.
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00
- Moorish makeover for relaunch of Andalucian teahouse on Costa de la Luz - 17 Mar, 2018 @ 14:00
- Incredible 20 Michelin starred chefs – with 40 stars between them – to descend on Marbella - 16 Mar, 2018 @ 17:00