THIS year’s Tour de France winner, Alberto Contador, has tested positive for the drug clenbuterol.
The Union Cycliste Internacionale has “formally and provisionally” suspended the Spanish cyclist after the anti-doping test taken on July 21, just four days before he secured his victory, revealed traces of the banned drug.
But according to the UCI, the concentration of the drug found was 400 times less than what the anti-doping laboratories must be able to detect.
And it added it is working with the WADA to “analyse all the elements that are relevant to the case.”
However, should the controlling body decide to take action, Contador could be stripped of his yellow jersey and face a two year ban from the sport.
The Astana rider made the findings public himself in a statement issued last night.
He announced the UCI first informed him of the results on August 24, a month after the end of Tour de France.
And the statement explained: “From the time of the first communication … Alberto Contador alleged food contamination as the only possible explanation”.
Adding: “The experts consulted so far have agreed also that this is a food contamination case, especially considering the number of tests passed by Alberto Contador during the Tour de France.”
Contador is set to discuss the result at a press conference in his home town Pinto, Madrid, later today.
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00
- Moorish makeover for relaunch of Andalucian teahouse on Costa de la Luz - 17 Mar, 2018 @ 14:00
- Incredible 20 Michelin starred chefs – with 40 stars between them – to descend on Marbella - 16 Mar, 2018 @ 17:00