OVER a dozen Brits, including at least one pensioner, have been arrested in a huge Spanish drugs swoop.
The group of 13 – including four women – were picked up for selling ecstacy and cannabis on the Costa Blanca and the party island of Ibiza.
Spanish police seized 53,000 ecstasy pills and 100 cannabis plants during the swoop.
The gang, who all come from Liverpool, are accused of producing and distributing the “designer” drugs from a base in Alicante.
They are also suspected of links to money laundering and identity fraud.
Investigators said one gang member was arrested as he tried to smuggle thousands of ecstasy pills from the port of Denia to suppliers in Ibiza hidden in the doors of a car.
The rest of the group were captured in the Torrevieja area of the Costa Blanca on September 27.
Vehicles, mobile phones and cash were also confiscated, along with some cocaine found on the premises.
The 13 remain in custody following their arrest in conjunction with the UK’s Serious Organised Crime Agency (Soca).
Ken Gallagher of Soca said: “This criminal gang was treating the UK as a distribution centre for the drugs they peddled in Spain.”
He said the group were “harming not only the British community and holidaymakers in Spain but also harming the UK itself through their extended drug dealing”.
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00
- Moorish makeover for relaunch of Andalucian teahouse on Costa de la Luz - 17 Mar, 2018 @ 14:00
- Incredible 20 Michelin starred chefs – with 40 stars between them – to descend on Marbella - 16 Mar, 2018 @ 17:00