By Wendy Williams
SHOPPING has just got easier in Spain.
Telefonica has joined forces with La Caixa bank and Visa to create a mobile phone that can be swiped at the till in a new hi-tech payment method.
The futuristic technology will allow people to go shopping without the need for credit cards or wallets.
After a five month trial in Sitges, near Barcelona, more than half of the 1,500 locals who were given the phones are still using them regularly.
The average purchase price is 31 euro and nine out of ten locals say they will use mobile shopping in the future.
For anything less than 20 euros, the retailer types in the price or scans the barcode and the phone is then swiped across the front of a sensor.
For added security measures, a four-digit PIN number is required for any larger purchases.
And phones can be pre-loaded with cash or linked directly to a bank account.
However, for the process to work, mobile phones will need to have a SIM card with a payment function built in, plus an additional supporting secure chip.
In addition, there needs to be enough financial incentive for the mobile operators to get involved.
But if the success in Sitges is anything to go by, paying by cash could be a thing of the past.
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00
- Moorish makeover for relaunch of Andalucian teahouse on Costa de la Luz - 17 Mar, 2018 @ 14:00
- Incredible 20 Michelin starred chefs – with 40 stars between them – to descend on Marbella - 16 Mar, 2018 @ 17:00