FOLLOWING the death of four people in Madrid, the health authorities are looking for the source of the latest Legionnaires outbreak.
Traces of the bacteria, which has been spreading across central Madrid since mid-October, were found in contaminated cooling facilities belonging to the pizzeria ‘Danieli’.
And the Ministry of Health has confirmed it has sealed two cooling towers in the capital which had “high contamination” of Legionnaires.
But the next step is to compare the bacteria found in the towers with those who have been affected.
The ministry has also ordered the cleaning of five towers spread across Torrespaña, the Gregorio Maranon hospital and the headquarters of the Navy.
And to date 677 inspections have been carried out to determine the source and 137 samples have been sent to the Laboratory of Public Health.
There are now 44 reported cases of the disease which is caused by a bacteriological build-up in air-conditioning units.
The latest victim, an 82 year old woman died on November 2 at the Fundación Jiménez Díaz hospital.
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00
- Moorish makeover for relaunch of Andalucian teahouse on Costa de la Luz - 17 Mar, 2018 @ 14:00
- Incredible 20 Michelin starred chefs – with 40 stars between them – to descend on Marbella - 16 Mar, 2018 @ 17:00