CAMPAIGNS to increase the share of protected land across Andalucia are gathering pace.
Andalucia’s environmental commission has proposed expanding the Donana Natural Park in Huelva by over a quarter.
The proposal, made at a special meeting in early December, received unanimous support from the town halls, ecologists, businessmen and central and local government officials.
The plan would see at extra 13,000 hectares added to the 53,800 hectares currently comprising the park.
The protected area would be expanded southwards to mouth of the Guadalquivir river and westwards to the pass of the Rocina valley.
Donana is considered Europe’s most biodiverse wetland and was named a UNESCO world heritage site in 1994.
Meanwhile, Mijas mayor Antonio Sanchez has added his voice to the campaign to create a natural park in Malaga’s coastal hills.
Sanchez, of the Socialist party, proposed creating a working group to unite all the supporters of the project.
The new natural park was proposed by the Izquirda Unida opposition party this autumn to stop the spread of predatory development inland from Malaga.
The Sierra de Mijas is home to numerous animals, such as the genet, deer and wild boar.
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00
- Moorish makeover for relaunch of Andalucian teahouse on Costa de la Luz - 17 Mar, 2018 @ 14:00
- Incredible 20 Michelin starred chefs – with 40 stars between them – to descend on Marbella - 16 Mar, 2018 @ 17:00