By Anatoly Kurmanaev
OVER 100 rare bird species are threatened by a planned toll motorway between Ronda and Marbella.
According to SEO, Spain’s equivalent of the RSPB, the controversial road would ‘gravely threaten’ the habitat of the threatened Bonelli’s Eagle.
The eagle has practically died out in northern Spain and stable colonies now only exist in Andalucia and Extremadura.
In total, the Sierra Bermeja is home to around 150 different birds: 25 of them are protected by EU laws and 117 by national or regional Spanish legislation.
SEO, was one of many environmental groups to lodge its objections to the new link, that would cost 350 million euros to build. The public consolation period has now ended.
Environmentalists say the new motorway will destroy decades of conservation work and open up huge swathes of land to property speculation.
They propose expanding existing railways and roads as an alternative.
Either way, the new motorway appears to have fallen off the government’s list of priorities and has not been included in the public works budget for next year.
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00
- Moorish makeover for relaunch of Andalucian teahouse on Costa de la Luz - 17 Mar, 2018 @ 14:00
- Incredible 20 Michelin starred chefs – with 40 stars between them – to descend on Marbella - 16 Mar, 2018 @ 17:00