EXCLUSIVE by Anatoly Kurmanaev
FUENGIROLA council has come under attack for being the only Andalucian town hall to oppose a green plastic bag tax.
The measure introduced to fight the spread of ‘plastic poison’ in the sea is being opposed by business owners complaining of extra costs.
And incredibly Fuengirola town hall has backed their bid to delay the tax.
“Its such stupidity,” local Green Party boss Victor Blasco told the Olive Press.
“The town hall’s lack of willpower amazes me. Ecology and sustainability are simply not part of its lexicon.”
In a bid to cut back on plastic bag use businesses would have to charge five cents for each plastic bag.
The Olive Press launched a campaign against plastic bags as long ago as 2008.
But councillor Pedro Vega claims the Junta is only doing it to generate around 95 million euros. “He’s completely missing the point as it would discourage shoppers using bags,” said Blasco.
Fuengirola has recently been declared the least transparent town hall in Spain by Transparency International.
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00
- Moorish makeover for relaunch of Andalucian teahouse on Costa de la Luz - 17 Mar, 2018 @ 14:00
- Incredible 20 Michelin starred chefs – with 40 stars between them – to descend on Marbella - 16 Mar, 2018 @ 17:00