AT the heart of every Christmas is a big hearty meal accompanied, of course, by chocolates, sweets and alcohol.
But though it sounds delicious, come January you may regret those extra mince pies.
According to leading nutritionist Dr Miguel Angel Rubio a change in eating habits over the festive season could lead to an average gain of four kilos per person.
Moreover, what may take only 12 days to put on, can take over two months to burn off.
“And worse, it could become part of a vicious downhill spiral,” he explains. “You get into the dynamics of gaining weight over Christmas, and then losing it but there comes a time when these ups and downs may stop working, and in the end, the weight only goes up.”
So what should you do to avoid piling on the pounds over Christmas?
“To avoid this trouble, do not over-eat, avoid overindulging meat and fats and replace them whenever possible with vegetables or foods rich in fiber. And of course, don’t abuse alcohol and tobacco,” adds Rubio.
Dr Rubio’s Top Tips for keeping weight off this Christmas
Keep up your exercise
Drink plenty of water
Watch your portion size – eat as much as you need and not more
Only indulge in what you really enjoy, don’t just eat for the sake of it
Swap fatty foods for vegetables
Put away the goodies you have bought for guests so you won’t be tempted to nibble when they are not around – out of sight out of mind
Watch how much alcohol you drink
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00
- Moorish makeover for relaunch of Andalucian teahouse on Costa de la Luz - 17 Mar, 2018 @ 14:00
- Incredible 20 Michelin starred chefs – with 40 stars between them – to descend on Marbella - 16 Mar, 2018 @ 17:00