ONE symbol of Christmas that still maintains great importance throughout Spain is the belén – a Nativity scene.
In the small Guadiaro Valley village of Jimera de Líbar in the Serrania de Ronda the locals staged a live Nativity scene, with actors playing the parts of Mary and Joseph and the Three Wise Men. There was even a real tot as baby Jesus.
The entire plaza became the stage and was full villagers playing the parts of blacksmiths, bakers and other artisans.
Two performances were staged on 26 December and the atmospheric evening event was lit by torchight.
- Photographs by Karl Smallman
- Sierra Nevada’s biggest ski school EOE celebrates 30th birthday - 2 Jan, 2017 @ 21:11
- San Pedro New Year concert tickets on sale - 31 Dec, 2016 @ 18:30
- Queen’s New Year honours for two British residents in Spain - 30 Dec, 2016 @ 23:30
- Merry Christmas to all our valued readers and advertisers - 25 Dec, 2016 @ 09:07
- Police helicopter crew rescue dog and owner from Malaga floods - 4 Dec, 2016 @ 18:09
- Costa del Sol torrential rain alert raised to orange - 23 Oct, 2016 @ 14:45
- Police investigate death of Brit found bound and semi-naked at Malaga airport - 23 Oct, 2016 @ 10:58
- Spain’s PSOE leader resigns with Andalucia regional head Suzana Diaz favourite to succeed him - 2 Oct, 2016 @ 13:14
- Velez-Malaga gas explosion injures at least 77 people - 2 Oct, 2016 @ 12:16
- Chinese hotel group Wanda has got its eyes on the Costa del Sol - 23 Sep, 2016 @ 09:33