A HUGE consignment of cocaine hidden inside plastic bananas has been seized by Spanish police.
A total of 162 kilos of the drug was found in a 20-tonne shipment of fruit arriving in Algeciras from Ecuador.
“The imitations with the drugs, which were very similar to real bananas, were hidden amongst a shipment of real fruit,” revealed a statement by the interior ministry.
Following the operation four people have been arrested, and police believe one of them is the leader of the ring responsible for maintaining contacts with the Colombian drug cartels that supplied the narcotics.
“These contacts led him to travel to the interior of the Colombian jungle to personally supervise the shipment of the cocaine and inspect its quality,” the statement added.
The operation has also been tied to the arrests made at the start of 2010 of cocaine traffickers based in Benalmadena, Torremolinos, Fuengirola and Marbella.
- Thousands evacuated as forest fire spreads along Costa del Sol - 31 Aug, 2012 @ 11:01
- Irishman shot in Torremolinos bar - 28 Aug, 2012 @ 10:27
- Experts confirm remains found on Cordoba estate belong to missing youngsters Ruth and Jose Breton - 27 Aug, 2012 @ 17:02
- Naked Chef Jamie Oliver in Marbella - 24 Aug, 2012 @ 18:24
- ‘Sickening’ kitten attacks in Estepona - 22 Aug, 2012 @ 12:55
- Little and large: Petite star Eva Longoria poses with fellow diner in Marbella - 21 Aug, 2012 @ 13:23
- Sheikh to sell Malaga FC - 19 Aug, 2012 @ 13:00
- Mercadona recalls cosmetic products linked to cancer - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 13:57
- David Cameron enjoys a summer holiday in Spain - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 10:28
- Gibraltar’s biggest ever dance festival set to attract some of the best DJs to the Rock - 27 Jul, 2012 @ 11:46