A BRITISH pensioner has been taken to court in a bid to save a dozen stray cats she has been caring for.
Retired school teacher Valerie June Strahinja, 68, is being sued over her care of the street cats for the past two years.
Working with local charity ADANA, she has even had many of them sterilized at a great cost to herself.
But the animal lover, who has lived in Estepona for 15 years, has faced opposition from other residents in the Ronda en el Mar urbanization, who have repeatedly reported the cats to the authorities.
In the latest clash she has been forced to hide the animals after the local authorities sent in an agency to kill them.
“It is a horror story,” said Strahinja. “They were going to take them away even though they have been sterilized. It didn’t stop them killing the last remaining cat who I found this weekend next to a bag of rat poison. The animal was in severe and terrible pain and although I took it immediately to the vet, the young cat couldn’t be saved and died a horrible death.”
- Thousands evacuated as forest fire spreads along Costa del Sol - 31 Aug, 2012 @ 11:01
- Irishman shot in Torremolinos bar - 28 Aug, 2012 @ 10:27
- Experts confirm remains found on Cordoba estate belong to missing youngsters Ruth and Jose Breton - 27 Aug, 2012 @ 17:02
- Naked Chef Jamie Oliver in Marbella - 24 Aug, 2012 @ 18:24
- ‘Sickening’ kitten attacks in Estepona - 22 Aug, 2012 @ 12:55
- Little and large: Petite star Eva Longoria poses with fellow diner in Marbella - 21 Aug, 2012 @ 13:23
- Sheikh to sell Malaga FC - 19 Aug, 2012 @ 13:00
- Mercadona recalls cosmetic products linked to cancer - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 13:57
- David Cameron enjoys a summer holiday in Spain - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 10:28
- Gibraltar’s biggest ever dance festival set to attract some of the best DJs to the Rock - 27 Jul, 2012 @ 11:46