NOW if I had a euro for every time I get asked about how you run a UK-plated vehicle down here, or how to go about buying a vehicle registered in Spain or Gibraltar, I would be a rich man.
The simple truth is, if you are running a UK-registered vehicle that would not be deemed roadworthy in the UK, it is not roadworthy here either.
And the fact that Spanish police now have the ability to cross reference with the DVLA in the UK only increases the risk you are taking.
If your UK-plated vehicle has no MOT, you are risking a heavy fine and the likelihood of losing your vehicle.
Even if you have insurance it will not be valid if your vehicle is not roadworthy, so please heed this advice and make sure your vehicles are fully compliant with UK legislation, and that includes bikers too.
If you have Spanish residency you can import your vehicle onto a Spanish registration, or if you have a residence within Gibraltar you can import it onto the Rock.
The cost of running your vehicle in Gibraltar is cheaper in the long run as there is no road tax to be paid, and an MOT is only needed every two years. The intimidating appearance of road blocks set up by the gun-wielding Guardia Civil is bad enough when driving by in a fully-legal car, so God knows how it must feel when you are driving outside of the law.
- Sierra Nevada’s biggest ski school EOE celebrates 30th birthday - 2 Jan, 2017 @ 21:11
- San Pedro New Year concert tickets on sale - 31 Dec, 2016 @ 18:30
- Queen’s New Year honours for two British residents in Spain - 30 Dec, 2016 @ 23:30
- Merry Christmas to all our valued readers and advertisers - 25 Dec, 2016 @ 09:07
- Police helicopter crew rescue dog and owner from Malaga floods - 4 Dec, 2016 @ 18:09
- Costa del Sol torrential rain alert raised to orange - 23 Oct, 2016 @ 14:45
- Police investigate death of Brit found bound and semi-naked at Malaga airport - 23 Oct, 2016 @ 10:58
- Spain’s PSOE leader resigns with Andalucia regional head Suzana Diaz favourite to succeed him - 2 Oct, 2016 @ 13:14
- Velez-Malaga gas explosion injures at least 77 people - 2 Oct, 2016 @ 12:16
- Chinese hotel group Wanda has got its eyes on the Costa del Sol - 23 Sep, 2016 @ 09:33