A PENSIONER left in agony for days with a broken wrist, described by doctors as the ‘worst they had ever seen,’ is threatening to take legal action against the Costa del Sol Hospital.
Hilda Scott, 76, was left with a protruding wrist bone, a badly bruised face and concussion after suffering a fall at her Mijas home on January 26.
But despite the severity of her injuries, Scott alleges the hospital failed to operate, describing the way she was treated as ‘inhumane’.
The pensioner is angry that it took seven days to receive an operation, which doctors told her should ordinarily be carried out within six hours.
Scott had the wrist initially plastered after x-rays confirmed the break, and was told the hospital would be in touch in several days.
She then returned the following day in agony, pleading to be operated on, but after being examined by two doctors, was told she would have to wait a further six days.
“It was terrible, they couldn’t care less and weren’t interested”, Scott said. “I was in awful pain but they just gave me some paracetamol and that was it.”
Scott returned to the hospital as requested on February 1 after enduring several days of terrible pain.
She was left in a hospital bed for eight hours only to be informed by a doctor that they had finished operating for the day and that she should come back in a further eight days.
The patient, originally from Chester, was eventually operated on following referral to Santa Elena Hospital after seeking private treatment.
The straightforward procedure usually takes 20 minutes, but took over two hours as a result of the delay.
It left Scott with a plate and 10 pins in her arm, serving as a permanent reminder of her ordeal.
“I’ve been told it will be a year before it’s right again. I’m pretty depressed about the whole situation”, she added.
- Thousands evacuated as forest fire spreads along Costa del Sol - 31 Aug, 2012 @ 11:01
- Irishman shot in Torremolinos bar - 28 Aug, 2012 @ 10:27
- Experts confirm remains found on Cordoba estate belong to missing youngsters Ruth and Jose Breton - 27 Aug, 2012 @ 17:02
- Naked Chef Jamie Oliver in Marbella - 24 Aug, 2012 @ 18:24
- ‘Sickening’ kitten attacks in Estepona - 22 Aug, 2012 @ 12:55
- Little and large: Petite star Eva Longoria poses with fellow diner in Marbella - 21 Aug, 2012 @ 13:23
- Sheikh to sell Malaga FC - 19 Aug, 2012 @ 13:00
- Mercadona recalls cosmetic products linked to cancer - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 13:57
- David Cameron enjoys a summer holiday in Spain - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 10:28
- Gibraltar’s biggest ever dance festival set to attract some of the best DJs to the Rock - 27 Jul, 2012 @ 11:46