By Wendy Williams
THE recession has at least one, unlikely, success story.
While the Spanish economy has been in nosedive and the unemployment levels have nudged 21 per cent, champagne sales have rocketed.
New figures just released show that consumption of the celebrated French wine rose by a staggering 23.8 per cent in 2010.
Meanwhile, the equivalent Spanish cava industry also recorded a ‘record year’, with sales increasing by 11.5 per from 2009, reaching an annual turnover of 1.03 billion euros.
Analysts are predicting further growth in the bubbly sector, and increasing numbers of Andalucian restaurants are now stocking more bottles of champagne.
Another company tapping into the trend is Ronda-based company Doña Felisa – which has added a line of champagnes to its repertoire.
The company behind Chinchilla has teamed up with small producer Jacques Lassaigne Montgueux to market three different champagnes in Spain.
“Champagne is becoming more popular in Spain these days as more people are trying new things,” explained Dona Felisa boss Jose Maria Losantos.
“And with all good things, as more people try them and like them they become increasingly popular.”
He added: “We hope that the trio of champagnes are going to do well.”
- Thousands evacuated as forest fire spreads along Costa del Sol - 31 Aug, 2012 @ 11:01
- Irishman shot in Torremolinos bar - 28 Aug, 2012 @ 10:27
- Experts confirm remains found on Cordoba estate belong to missing youngsters Ruth and Jose Breton - 27 Aug, 2012 @ 17:02
- Naked Chef Jamie Oliver in Marbella - 24 Aug, 2012 @ 18:24
- ‘Sickening’ kitten attacks in Estepona - 22 Aug, 2012 @ 12:55
- Little and large: Petite star Eva Longoria poses with fellow diner in Marbella - 21 Aug, 2012 @ 13:23
- Sheikh to sell Malaga FC - 19 Aug, 2012 @ 13:00
- Mercadona recalls cosmetic products linked to cancer - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 13:57
- David Cameron enjoys a summer holiday in Spain - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 10:28
- Gibraltar’s biggest ever dance festival set to attract some of the best DJs to the Rock - 27 Jul, 2012 @ 11:46