AN Irishman wanted for the murder of expat Dan Smith has gone on trial this week.
Eric ‘Lucky’ Wilson, 27, allegedly shot Smith, 24, a dozen times at point blank range outside the Lounge Bar, in Riviera in June 2010.
The prosecutor at Malaga Provincial Court is calling for an 18-year prison sentence for Wilson and wants the Irishmen to pay 45,793 euros in compensation.
As first reported in the Olive Press, Smith had angered the Irishman after he stepped in to defend a female friend who had been allegedly groped by Wilson.
A fight broke out and Wilson allegedly left the bar, returning 30 minutes later with a gun.
He was arrested at his farm in Coin, less than 48 hours after the attack, and a search of the house found explosives, grenades and fake passports.
The victim’s mother Karen Wetherell, who was present in Malaga Provincial Court this week, is also bringing a separate private prosecution.
She said: “Thanks for getting in touch, but at this stage I am not willing to answer any questions.”
Her lawyer Carlos Comitre added however: “The case is very clear and there is no doubt that (he) is the murderer.
“We want to get the maximum sentence and see justice for the family.”
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00
- Moorish makeover for relaunch of Andalucian teahouse on Costa de la Luz - 17 Mar, 2018 @ 14:00
- Incredible 20 Michelin starred chefs – with 40 stars between them – to descend on Marbella - 16 Mar, 2018 @ 17:00