BRITISH holidaymakers have told of their fright as an engine of their Ibiza plane went on fire.
Passengers on the Jet2 flight from Ibiza to Manchester heard an explosion and saw an engine ablaze.
The Boeing 737-800, which was carrying 186 people, was forced to make an emergency landing in nearby Mallorca
One passenger posted online: ‘Most terrifying moment of my life! So glad to be home safe.’
Another wrote: ‘I’m not the best flyer anyway but when I heard those noises and looked out the window to see flames coming out of the engine, I can honestly say I was terrified!’
According to witnesses, the noises were so loud that holidaymakers came out of their hotels and looked into the sky because of the repetitive bangs.
One said: ‘At first we thought fireworks were being launched and turned around to see the plane. I can only imagine what it sounded like inside.’
A YouTube clip shows the plane flying overhead as its engine sputters and booms before the pilots shut it down.
The flames and the sound of the misfirings can be clearly seen and heard from the ground.
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00
- Moorish makeover for relaunch of Andalucian teahouse on Costa de la Luz - 17 Mar, 2018 @ 14:00
- Incredible 20 Michelin starred chefs – with 40 stars between them – to descend on Marbella - 16 Mar, 2018 @ 17:00