AS the debate over who should make the Olive Press’ definitive Expat 100 hots up, we’ve been inundated with suggestions ranging from the sublime to the ridiculous.
Hundreds of readers have bombarded our office and website with suggestions, including the colourful trio of John Lennon, Melanie Griffith and Orson Welles.
Few know that Lennon spent many months living in Almeria, where he wrote hit Strawberry Fields Forever, while actress Griffith has done much to promote Malaga city, and writer Orson Welles spent long periods of time in Ronda and is indeed buried there.
Other interesting nominations include revolutionary Robert Boyd, founder of book publisher Santana Ken Brown and American torero John Fulton.
Writer Guy Hunter Watts – himself nominated – recommended the trio of Bizet, Merimee and Borrows.
He said: “You have to have Bizet for his opera Carmen, Prosper Merimee for the book that inspired it and George Borrows for inspiring Merimee.”
More obvious names, such as Cudeca boss Joan Hunt OBE and leading writer Gerald Brenan, have also been pitched.
Then there are the more controversial figures who have divided opinion, such as DJ Maurice Boland, as well as a number of well known criminals and fraudsters including Toni Muldoon, Ronnie Knight and Garry Leigh.
Should such characters make the cut for generating publicity for the area, or does the negative image cancel it out?
What do you think? The Olive Press needs you to send us your nominations – living or dead – to be able to compile the definitive list.
Please email email@example.com or enter your suggestions in the comment form below.
- Thousands evacuated as forest fire spreads along Costa del Sol - 31 Aug, 2012 @ 11:01
- Irishman shot in Torremolinos bar - 28 Aug, 2012 @ 10:27
- Experts confirm remains found on Cordoba estate belong to missing youngsters Ruth and Jose Breton - 27 Aug, 2012 @ 17:02
- Naked Chef Jamie Oliver in Marbella - 24 Aug, 2012 @ 18:24
- ‘Sickening’ kitten attacks in Estepona - 22 Aug, 2012 @ 12:55
- Little and large: Petite star Eva Longoria poses with fellow diner in Marbella - 21 Aug, 2012 @ 13:23
- Sheikh to sell Malaga FC - 19 Aug, 2012 @ 13:00
- Mercadona recalls cosmetic products linked to cancer - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 13:57
- David Cameron enjoys a summer holiday in Spain - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 10:28
- Gibraltar’s biggest ever dance festival set to attract some of the best DJs to the Rock - 27 Jul, 2012 @ 11:46