POLICE are searching the Guadalquivir River for the bodies of a young brother and sister who vanished from a park in Cordoba.
The siblings, José and Ruth Bretón Ortiz, aged 2 and 6, were reported missing by their father on Saturday who insisted he lost sight of them for a moment in the park.
A search has been underway since the weekend led by a team of officers from Sevilla headed by Comisario Manuel Piedra Buena, who was in charge of the Marta del Castillo investigation.
But police now say they have ruled out finding the children alive and have sent divers to comb the river for signs of the bodies.
It comes as bone fragments found in the remains of a fire on the father’s family finca in the Las Quemadillas district have been revealed to belong to a dog.
Reports indicate that the children’s father, José Bretón, was taken to the property to explain the findings, but forensics have shown they are not human remains.
Police have questioned the father and other family members, including an uncle and one of the children’s grandmothers, but no one has yet been arrested.
The children normally live with their mother in Huelva, but were visiting their father’s family last weekend following their parents’ recent separation.
His estranged wife reported him on Sunday after she had been informed of her children’s disappearance.
- Thousands evacuated as forest fire spreads along Costa del Sol - 31 Aug, 2012 @ 11:01
- Irishman shot in Torremolinos bar - 28 Aug, 2012 @ 10:27
- Experts confirm remains found on Cordoba estate belong to missing youngsters Ruth and Jose Breton - 27 Aug, 2012 @ 17:02
- Naked Chef Jamie Oliver in Marbella - 24 Aug, 2012 @ 18:24
- ‘Sickening’ kitten attacks in Estepona - 22 Aug, 2012 @ 12:55
- Little and large: Petite star Eva Longoria poses with fellow diner in Marbella - 21 Aug, 2012 @ 13:23
- Sheikh to sell Malaga FC - 19 Aug, 2012 @ 13:00
- Mercadona recalls cosmetic products linked to cancer - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 13:57
- David Cameron enjoys a summer holiday in Spain - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 10:28
- Gibraltar’s biggest ever dance festival set to attract some of the best DJs to the Rock - 27 Jul, 2012 @ 11:46