MOTORBIKE checks imposed by Spanish police on riders crossing the Gibraltar border are to be investigated by the European Commission.
The daily checks – which have caused huge tailbacks – are in response to an increase in motorbikes being used to smuggle tobacco, according to the Spanish authorities.
But despite Spanish police scaling back their operation in recent weeks, Gibraltar’s Liberal Democrat MEP Sir Graham Watson has questioned the legality of the action.
Watson has filed a series of questions with the European Parliament in which he suggests the checks may have breached EU rules on freedom of movement.
“The checks are causing traffic problems, as they affect all border users and mean that delays crossing the border often exceed an hour,” he said.
“Is the Commission satisfied that these untargeted checks are in line with EU rules on free movement and customs?” he continued.
The MEP also proposed a possible solution to the issue, based on traffic management schemes used at airports.
“Has the Commission considered the introduction of Red/Green/Blue channels, similar to those in place at airports, for vehicles where such checks are in place at land borders?”
- Avocados in Spain at risk of devastation from fungus transmitted by beetles - 20 Dec, 2012 @ 08:26
- Junta introduces bike scheme but fails to reduce 263-strong fleet of company cars - 19 Dec, 2012 @ 08:12
- Descendants of Sephardic Jews gain automatic citizenship in Spain - 18 Dec, 2012 @ 13:00
- Phoenix Campaign meeting under way this morning to help fire victims rebuild their homes - 18 Dec, 2012 @ 11:15
- Oil painting by Ecco Homo ‘restorer’ fetches €1,080 on eBay - 18 Dec, 2012 @ 11:10
- Females twice as likely as men to opt for herbal medicine - 17 Dec, 2012 @ 11:48
- Man charged after selling fake magnetic therapy machine for €1,200 - 16 Dec, 2012 @ 15:29
- Gambling conference attracts 200 former addicts - 16 Dec, 2012 @ 08:05
- IU boss ‘tremendous disappointed’ after ERE report rejected by Junta - 15 Dec, 2012 @ 12:41
- Anchovy fishing to continue in Spain following quota swap - 15 Dec, 2012 @ 08:10