- OP Xtreme
- Business & Finance
- Crime & Law
- Food Drink
- News Features
- Eating Out
- Andalucia Property Search
I’ve got myself a timeshare in Almeria, Jon!
• Joe Strummer was a great lover of Spain, especially Andalusia
IT was certainly one of the most memorable interviews of my life.
Helping to compile a list of the Top 100 bands of All Time for the Daily Mail, I got to hang out with Joe Strummer at London’s Groucho Club.
We talked for hours about his life and loves and the conversation was frequently peppered with references to Spain.
Myself, having earlier lived in Madrid for two years we had a lot of shared interests, including a passionate interest in the Civil War.
The biggest coincidence though was his love of the little-known corner of Andalucia, Cabo de Gata, where I had literally just got back from a holiday.
“I’ve got a timeshare in San Jose,” he told me. “I head down every year and love the vibes down there.”
But, it was clear he had a massive love of the whole region and this reflected in his songs.
We got on well and he gave me his home number in the West Country, where I would later hang out with him at Glastonbury festival.
Reader Comments »
Messages will be moderated or deleted if they:
• Are considered likely to disrupt, provoke, attack or offend others
• Are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable
• Contain swear words or other language likely to offend
• Break the law or condone or encourage unlawful activity. This includes breach of copyright, defamation and contempt of court
• Advertise products or services for profit or gain
• Are seen to impersonate someone else
• Include contact details such as phone numbers, postal or email addresses
• Describe or encourage activities which could endanger the safety or well-being of others