EUROPE is to follow in the footsteps of the UK government after it banned the practice of airlines ‘ripping off’ customers with hidden charges.
Under the new ruling companies like Ryanair and Easyjet will no longer be able to charge ‘extortionate’ fees to pay by credit card.
Customers are being charged as much as 14 euros, though the transactions costs as little as 30cents to process.
In some cases, the surcharges are higher than the value of the item purchased.
UK Treasury minister Mark Hoban insisted Britons were ‘sick’ of being ‘ripped off’ by the hidden charges.
He said: “We’re leading the way in Europe by stopping this practice. Consumers are sick of the rip-off culture and we are determined to do what we can to end it.”
Legislation will come in by the end of next year., while the EU is to ban the practice from 2014.
In recent months, surcharges have risen sharply particularly among low-cost airlines. The cost of booking a Ryanair return flight with a debit card has risen 15-fold since 2004.
The charges have now spread to many other areas including cinema tickets, utility bills, holidays and even some government departments.
In one case, car giant Toyota levied a 80 euro charge to purchase a car with a credit card.
In most cases, such charges are only disclosed as you finalise the purchase making it difficult for consumers to compare prices.
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00
- Moorish makeover for relaunch of Andalucian teahouse on Costa de la Luz - 17 Mar, 2018 @ 14:00
- Incredible 20 Michelin starred chefs – with 40 stars between them – to descend on Marbella - 16 Mar, 2018 @ 17:00