SPAIN’S King has hit out the “unacceptable” unemployment rate the country is currently suffering.
King Juan Carlos has called for the country to unite to pull through its economic hardship, with the unemployment rate at over 21 per cent.
“We all know that the path of recovery will not be short nor easy, that it will require sacrifices,” he said in his Christmas broadcast. “It is a crisis that is surely set to change our economic and social habits.”
And in reference to a corruption scandal that is currently embroiling his son in law he censured “irregular conduct” by public officials.
“I am enormously worried by the lack of trust that seems to be spreading in some sectors of public opinion with regard to the credibility and prestige of some of our institutions,” the King, 73, said in his televised address.
“All, absolutely all people with public responsibilities, have a duty to observe appropriate conduct,” he added.
In the scandal, judges are investigating alleged corruption involving a charitable organisation formerly run by Inaki Urdangarin, 43, the Duke of Palma de Mallorca.
Urdangarin, a former Olympic handball player, is married to the King’s youngest daughter, Princess Cristina.
The royal palace this month froze Urdangarin out of its official activities.
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00
- Moorish makeover for relaunch of Andalucian teahouse on Costa de la Luz - 17 Mar, 2018 @ 14:00
- Incredible 20 Michelin starred chefs – with 40 stars between them – to descend on Marbella - 16 Mar, 2018 @ 17:00