THREE British pensioners have died from Legionnaires’ disease while on holiday in Spain.
A further ten Brits and four Spaniards were treated for the disease, which they contracted following a stay at the Diamante Beach Hotel in Calpe in Valencia.
“This is clearly a very upsetting time for families and staff,” said a spokesman from tour operator Saga Holidays, which specialises in holidays for the over-50s.
“We have done an inspection and made some recommendations to reduce a further outbreak, and they will need to make changes before we consider using it again.”
The hotel has been closed and the Valencia government is taking measures to control the disease.
All clients who had stayed at the hotel during the previous month were advised to see a doctor if they developed flu-like symptoms.
Elderly people and smokers are particularly vulnerable to the disease, which sees patients developing high fever, muscle aches and dry coughs between two and ten days of exposure.
Legionnella bacteria, which causes the disease, is often found in air conditioning or plumbing systems.
- Avocados in Spain at risk of devastation from fungus transmitted by beetles - 20 Dec, 2012 @ 08:26
- Junta introduces bike scheme but fails to reduce 263-strong fleet of company cars - 19 Dec, 2012 @ 08:12
- Descendants of Sephardic Jews gain automatic citizenship in Spain - 18 Dec, 2012 @ 13:00
- Phoenix Campaign meeting under way this morning to help fire victims rebuild their homes - 18 Dec, 2012 @ 11:15
- Oil painting by Ecco Homo ‘restorer’ fetches €1,080 on eBay - 18 Dec, 2012 @ 11:10
- Females twice as likely as men to opt for herbal medicine - 17 Dec, 2012 @ 11:48
- Man charged after selling fake magnetic therapy machine for €1,200 - 16 Dec, 2012 @ 15:29
- Gambling conference attracts 200 former addicts - 16 Dec, 2012 @ 08:05
- IU boss ‘tremendous disappointed’ after ERE report rejected by Junta - 15 Dec, 2012 @ 12:41
- Anchovy fishing to continue in Spain following quota swap - 15 Dec, 2012 @ 08:10