Expat killed in cave house blaze

LAST UPDATED: 23 Feb, 2012 @ 17:00
1
SHARE
Expat killed in cave house blaze

A BRITISH man has been killed in a cave house fire in Baza.

Father-of-two James Timothy Okeefe, known as Tim, 56, was found dead in the cave where he lived in the El Perchel neighbourhood.

According to officials the part-time artist and handyman died from carbon monoxide inhalation after a couch caught fire, filling the cave with smoke.

His body was found two days later when his long-term partner Janet returned home and found the interior of the cave burnt.

“Tim was a very jolly chap,” said Su Hore, who owns a holiday cave next door.

“Trips to Baza will not be the same for my family without him.”

SHARE
Previous articleHeading for the heights!
Next articleHeart-stopping sadness

DO YOU HAVE NEWS FOR US at Spain’s most popular English newspaper – the Olive Press? Contact us now via email: [email protected] or call 951 273 575

JOIN THE CONVERSATION...

The Olive Press are not responsible and do not moderate individual comments before they are posted. Anyone who uses racist, sexist, homophobic or xenophobic language or hate speech will be blocked.
  1. Poor guy. Another, probably, needless tragedy. Carbon monoxide is so insidious, no smell, no visibility. You simply lose consciousness without warning. Not like drifting off to sleep, no. The lights just go out, bang, you are gone. Even worse if you may have dozed off, you simply never wake again. Ask any Bombero, monoxide is the real killer in fires. The only protection is a detector, it will deafen you before monoxide can affect you. They are more expensive than smoke detectors but probably more important. Saw one in my local supermarket yesterday – twelve quid, come down from around thirty a year ago.GET ONE.

HAVE YOUR SAY...