Exclusive by Wendy Williams
A DESPERATE rescue effort has been launched to save 50 starving horses on a farm on the outskirts of Ronda.
Environment group Ecologists in Action was forced to step in and denounce the owner Juan Alba, after he left the animals without food for weeks.
“The situation is already getting better,” insisted a spokesman for the group. “The horses have more food and we are paying close attention to the situation.
“Their recovery is not going to be automatic and it won’t happen overnight, but with time they will be ok.”
However an expat, who wished to remain anonymous, told the Olive Press he was horrified that the horses had been allowed to fall into this state.
“I saw a herd of at least 50 horses wandering around in the most desolate conditions,” he said.
“At the same time I noticed the owners have found the money to build a second floor to their private house.
“I hate to see so much money spent on private follies when there is a herd of animals held captive like this.”
When the Olive Press contacted Alba, a cafe owner in Ronda, he confirmed the horses were his but refused to comment further.
- Avocados in Spain at risk of devastation from fungus transmitted by beetles - 20 Dec, 2012 @ 08:26
- Junta introduces bike scheme but fails to reduce 263-strong fleet of company cars - 19 Dec, 2012 @ 08:12
- Descendants of Sephardic Jews gain automatic citizenship in Spain - 18 Dec, 2012 @ 13:00
- Phoenix Campaign meeting under way this morning to help fire victims rebuild their homes - 18 Dec, 2012 @ 11:15
- Oil painting by Ecco Homo ‘restorer’ fetches €1,080 on eBay - 18 Dec, 2012 @ 11:10
- Females twice as likely as men to opt for herbal medicine - 17 Dec, 2012 @ 11:48
- Man charged after selling fake magnetic therapy machine for €1,200 - 16 Dec, 2012 @ 15:29
- Gambling conference attracts 200 former addicts - 16 Dec, 2012 @ 08:05
- IU boss ‘tremendous disappointed’ after ERE report rejected by Junta - 15 Dec, 2012 @ 12:41
- Anchovy fishing to continue in Spain following quota swap - 15 Dec, 2012 @ 08:10