LA LINEA’S mayoress has described the Rock as an important ‘shock absorber’ for the huge economic crisis her town is currently under.
Gemma Araujo stressed how keen she was to have good relations with Gibraltar, despite negative declarations elsewhere in Spain.
Her comments came as she held her first official meeting with new chief minister Fabian Picardo, who also held out an olive branch to his counterpart.
Stressing the need to be ‘good neighbours’ the agenda included looking at ways in which cross-border relations could be boosted through joint cultural, educational and sporting initiatives.
Picardo sympathised with the recent loss of jobs for workers from La Linea, but blamed this on the old government, insisting it was also affecting Gibraltarians.
He also insisted that any Spanish workers registered on the Rock would be able to use its famous free transport.
The leaders also discussed pollution on Western Beach, which has been a key issue leading to regular closure of the beach to the public due to sewage leaks from La Linea.
“It has been a great pleasure to welcome Araujo and her team to talk about all the things that concern real people and where we may be able to make a difference,” Picardo said.
Araujo said that the shared history between Gibraltar and La Linea made it normal for both sides to have the same mutual interest in solving problems that affect them.
“These are important issues for good neighbourly relations which is our aim,” she said.
- Fake Ferrari gang busted in Spain - 31 Jul, 2013 @ 19:33
- Sunday shopping for cruise passengers in Malaga - 30 Jul, 2013 @ 19:40
- Socialists demand Rajoy resignation over payment scandal - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 22:18
- Spanish border police accused of discrimination by Gibraltar MEP - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 21:25
- Donana under threat from gas extraction - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 09:30
- Duchess of York’s friend killed in Marbella blaze - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 09:00
- Massage therapy on rise in Spain - 2 Feb, 2013 @ 15:34
- Spanish art fair pays collectors to attend - 30 Jan, 2013 @ 12:38
- Fresh ideas - 29 Jan, 2013 @ 14:00
- Fighting the fat in Spain - 29 Jan, 2013 @ 11:02