THE Queen has written to the people of Gibraltar to thank them for their loyalty as celebrations get under way for her Diamond Jubilee.
The monarch’s letter is in response to a ‘message of loyalty’ sent by Chief Minister Fabian Picardo on behalf of Gibraltar residents.
“I send my grateful thanks to the people of Gibraltar for their kind message of congratulations,” the Queen wrote.
“In return, please accept my good wishes for a memorable and enjoyable Diamond Jubilee Year. Elizabeth R.”
A number of events have already been held on the Rock to celebrate the 60-year milestone, with many more scheduled to take place throughout the year.
The celebrations will include the forthcoming visit to Gibraltar by the Earl and Countess of Wessex, although the exact dates are yet to be confirmed.
“I am sure we will all want to take part in the celebrations of Her Majesty’s reign and of Gibraltar’s enduring Britishness,” Picardo said.
- Avocados in Spain at risk of devastation from fungus transmitted by beetles - 20 Dec, 2012 @ 08:26
- Junta introduces bike scheme but fails to reduce 263-strong fleet of company cars - 19 Dec, 2012 @ 08:12
- Descendants of Sephardic Jews gain automatic citizenship in Spain - 18 Dec, 2012 @ 13:00
- Phoenix Campaign meeting under way this morning to help fire victims rebuild their homes - 18 Dec, 2012 @ 11:15
- Oil painting by Ecco Homo ‘restorer’ fetches €1,080 on eBay - 18 Dec, 2012 @ 11:10
- Females twice as likely as men to opt for herbal medicine - 17 Dec, 2012 @ 11:48
- Man charged after selling fake magnetic therapy machine for €1,200 - 16 Dec, 2012 @ 15:29
- Gambling conference attracts 200 former addicts - 16 Dec, 2012 @ 08:05
- IU boss ‘tremendous disappointed’ after ERE report rejected by Junta - 15 Dec, 2012 @ 12:41
- Anchovy fishing to continue in Spain following quota swap - 15 Dec, 2012 @ 08:10