IT is described as ‘world class golf as its best’ and it is right on the doorstep.
The Volvo World Match Play Championship will tee off this week at the Finca Cortesin near Casares with three top Spanish names in the billing.
The only match play event to be held in Europe this season it boasts a 24-man elite field that includes 15 of the World’s top 60 players.
A total of 12 nations will be represented at the 2012 Championship including three Spaniards, Sergio Garcia, Alvaro Quiros and Rafael Cabrera-Bello, who will be fighting to become the first Spanish winner since the Championship moved to Spain in 2009.
If they succeed it will also be the first time a Spaniard has won since golf legend, Seve Ballesteros, triumphed in 1991.
“I am so pleased to have finally qualified for this year’s Volvo World Match Play Championship,” said Quiros, a six-time winner on the European Tour.
“To play in Spain in front of my home crowds against such an elite field is very exciting and I hope, with their support, I can go a lot further than I did last year.
“It is fantastic for Spain to host such a prestigious event and Rafael and I will be doing our best to make the Spanish fans happy,” he added.
But the home favourites will face stiff competition from the likes of 2011 Open Champion, Darren Clarke, two-time US Open Champion, Retief Goosen and defending Volvo Champion, Ian Poulter.
The tournament will run from the May 17-20.
- Thousands evacuated as forest fire spreads along Costa del Sol - 31 Aug, 2012 @ 11:01
- Irishman shot in Torremolinos bar - 28 Aug, 2012 @ 10:27
- Experts confirm remains found on Cordoba estate belong to missing youngsters Ruth and Jose Breton - 27 Aug, 2012 @ 17:02
- Naked Chef Jamie Oliver in Marbella - 24 Aug, 2012 @ 18:24
- ‘Sickening’ kitten attacks in Estepona - 22 Aug, 2012 @ 12:55
- Little and large: Petite star Eva Longoria poses with fellow diner in Marbella - 21 Aug, 2012 @ 13:23
- Sheikh to sell Malaga FC - 19 Aug, 2012 @ 13:00
- Mercadona recalls cosmetic products linked to cancer - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 13:57
- David Cameron enjoys a summer holiday in Spain - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 10:28
- Gibraltar’s biggest ever dance festival set to attract some of the best DJs to the Rock - 27 Jul, 2012 @ 11:46