By Wendy Williams
A RELIGIOUS education teacher who was sacked after marrying a divorcee has won an 11-year battle to be reinstated.
Resurreccion Galera, 47, was dismissed in 2001 after the diocese of Almeria decided her civil marriage to German Johannes Romes presented a conflict with the religious beliefs of the Catholic Church.
But after an 11-year battle the courts have ruled the diocese was in breach of labour laws and have ordered Galera to be reinstated until August 31.
She was also awarded €199,000 for loss of earnings during the period.
Both parties have since appealed the decision on different grounds, with Galera fighting to have the reinstatement made indefinite.
The teacher, from Nijar, met her husband in 1999.
- Fake Ferrari gang busted in Spain - 31 Jul, 2013 @ 19:33
- Sunday shopping for cruise passengers in Malaga - 30 Jul, 2013 @ 19:40
- Socialists demand Rajoy resignation over payment scandal - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 22:18
- Spanish border police accused of discrimination by Gibraltar MEP - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 21:25
- Donana under threat from gas extraction - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 09:30
- Duchess of York’s friend killed in Marbella blaze - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 09:00
- Massage therapy on rise in Spain - 2 Feb, 2013 @ 15:34
- Spanish art fair pays collectors to attend - 30 Jan, 2013 @ 12:38
- Fresh ideas - 29 Jan, 2013 @ 14:00
- Fighting the fat in Spain - 29 Jan, 2013 @ 11:02