IT is official – too much alcohol can cause brain damage.
Scientists in Spain have found ethanol in alcohol destroys myelin, a substance in the brain that controls nervous function, causing delayed reactions.
Although it has long been known that excessive consumption of alcohol leads to a cognitive decline, the reason behind this was not known.
But sophisticated imaging following laboratory tests at the Prince Felipe Research Centre in Valencia has now shown a disintegration of the proteins that form the myelin sheath.
- Fake Ferrari gang busted in Spain - 31 Jul, 2013 @ 19:33
- Sunday shopping for cruise passengers in Malaga - 30 Jul, 2013 @ 19:40
- Socialists demand Rajoy resignation over payment scandal - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 22:18
- Spanish border police accused of discrimination by Gibraltar MEP - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 21:25
- Donana under threat from gas extraction - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 09:30
- Duchess of York’s friend killed in Marbella blaze - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 09:00
- Massage therapy on rise in Spain - 2 Feb, 2013 @ 15:34
- Spanish art fair pays collectors to attend - 30 Jan, 2013 @ 12:38
- Fresh ideas - 29 Jan, 2013 @ 14:00
- Fighting the fat in Spain - 29 Jan, 2013 @ 11:02