BULLFIGHTER Juan Jose Padilla has had another close shave – but this time out of the ring.
The matador – known as ‘The Pirate’, after losing his eye in a bullfight last year – has escaped prison for assaulting a police officer in 2010.
A San Sebastian court heard how Padilla, who testified via video link from his hometown of Jerez, hit an officer who was breathalysing his friend.
But as he has no previous criminal record he was given a seven-month suspended sentence and €400 fine.
Meanwhile, in a week of highs and lows, the bullfighter also received the ‘Insignia de Oro’ from Algeciras.
The bullfighter, who began his career in the Las Palomas ring in the city in 1994, received a standing ovation as he accepted the award.
- Avocados in Spain at risk of devastation from fungus transmitted by beetles - 20 Dec, 2012 @ 08:26
- Junta introduces bike scheme but fails to reduce 263-strong fleet of company cars - 19 Dec, 2012 @ 08:12
- Descendants of Sephardic Jews gain automatic citizenship in Spain - 18 Dec, 2012 @ 13:00
- Phoenix Campaign meeting under way this morning to help fire victims rebuild their homes - 18 Dec, 2012 @ 11:15
- Oil painting by Ecco Homo ‘restorer’ fetches €1,080 on eBay - 18 Dec, 2012 @ 11:10
- Females twice as likely as men to opt for herbal medicine - 17 Dec, 2012 @ 11:48
- Man charged after selling fake magnetic therapy machine for €1,200 - 16 Dec, 2012 @ 15:29
- Gambling conference attracts 200 former addicts - 16 Dec, 2012 @ 08:05
- IU boss ‘tremendous disappointed’ after ERE report rejected by Junta - 15 Dec, 2012 @ 12:41
- Anchovy fishing to continue in Spain following quota swap - 15 Dec, 2012 @ 08:10