EXCLUSIVE by James Bryce
A BRITISH expat whose home is at the centre of a legal battle over an alleged unpaid loan has described the situation as ‘farcical’.
Mark Ogley, 50, is fighting an embargo placed on the sale of his home by German bank Sparkasse, which claims to be owed money by the previous owner.
But the marine industry specialist, originally from Cheshire, insists the case has nothing to do with him and that he followed the correct procedure when buying the €280,000 property, near San Pedro, in 2003.
“I am stuck in limbo, it is a nonsensical situation that goes on and on and on and I can’t bring an end to it,” Ogley told the Olive Press.
“They’ve tracked down the previous owner in Germany and asked him to appear in court in Estepona, but he is an old guy and isn’t going to travel back to Spain for that.
“They are accusing me of knowing the previous owner and being in cahoots with him over the sale of the house, but they don’t have a shred of evidence to support that,” added Ogley, who shares the property with his partner and 14-year-old daughter.
“It’s not like I met the guy in a bar, I went through the correct procedure with lawyers and took out a mortgage.
“The problem is that lawyers can only check on borrowings against property in Spain, not money owed in other countries, so there is nothing to safeguard people from getting into this situation. It is farcical.”
- Fake Ferrari gang busted in Spain - 31 Jul, 2013 @ 19:33
- Sunday shopping for cruise passengers in Malaga - 30 Jul, 2013 @ 19:40
- Socialists demand Rajoy resignation over payment scandal - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 22:18
- Spanish border police accused of discrimination by Gibraltar MEP - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 21:25
- Donana under threat from gas extraction - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 09:30
- Duchess of York’s friend killed in Marbella blaze - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 09:00
- Massage therapy on rise in Spain - 2 Feb, 2013 @ 15:34
- Spanish art fair pays collectors to attend - 30 Jan, 2013 @ 12:38
- Fresh ideas - 29 Jan, 2013 @ 14:00
- Fighting the fat in Spain - 29 Jan, 2013 @ 11:02